Policies and procedures
Policies & Procedures
Springwood Nursery Policy and Procedure Overview
This is designed to give you a quick insight into our expectations and working practices.
Our full policies and procedures are kept in the reception area.
- Springwood nursery has allocated a designated safeguarding lead.
- We will act on any concerns.
- We seek advice from local MASH.
- Staff are trained right from induction to understand child protection and safeguarding policy and procedures.
- There are stringent processes we follow if there is an allegation against a staff member.
- Inclusion and equality
- It is our intention to be accessible to families from all sections of the local community.
- We are fully inclusive in meeting the needs of all children.
- We are committed to anti-discriminatory practise promoting equality.
- We provide an environment where all children, including those with special educational needs, are supported to reach their full potential.
- Our SENCO supports our practitioners and families with any concerns or advice they wish to know.
Promoting Positive Behaviour
- We actively promote British values.
- We have a dedicated promoting positive behaviour officer.
- We ensure that all staff act as positive role models for children.
- We encourage parents and other visitors to be positive role models and challenge any undesired behaviour shown.
- We support children behaviour individually and follow clear positive behaviour strategies.
- Medicines containing aspirin will only be given if prescribed by a doctor.
- We administer medication prescribed by a doctor only if it is dated and has the child’s full name on it. This to ensure there are no allergic reactions.
- The nursery will only administer non-prescription medication for a short initial period, dependant on the medication or the condition of the child. After this time, medical attention should be sought.
- If any child is brought to the nursery in a condition in which he/she may require medication sometime during the day, the manager will decide if the child is fit to be left at the nursery. If the child is staying, the parent must be asked if any kind of medication has already been given, at what time and in what dosage, and this must be stated on the medication form.
- We promote the good health of all children attending through maintaining high hygiene standards and reducing the chances of infection being spread
- We follow the health protection in schools and other childcare facilities guidance, which sets out when and how long children need to be excluded from settings, when treatment/medication is required and where to get further advice.
Accident and First Aid
- We all are First Aid trained.
- We log any accidents or incidents which are shared with the parents on the day.
- We follow the guidelines of the Reporting Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences.
- We are vigilant in our recruitment procedures, aiming to ensure all people working with children are suitable to do so.
- We have a rigorous employment process, including advertising, interviewing, trial and feedback.
- The successful candidate will be offered the position subject to at least two references from previous employment or, in the case of a newly qualified student, their tutor and a personal or professional reference.
- All staff are DBS checked.
- We provide appropriate opportunities for all staff to undertake professional development and training to help improve the quality of experiences provided for children.
- Any volunteers and students we accept are interviewed, DBS checked and given a full induction.
Health and safety
- Ratios set by Ofsted are maintained at all times and employ cover staff in the event of staff sickness.
- No smoking on our premises.
- Staff receive in-house Health and Safety training.
- We have a Health and Safety and Fire officer.
- We hold yearly risk assessments, and daily checks are completed, and any risks minimised throughout the setting.
Nutrition and mealtimes
- We are committed to offering children healthy, nutritious and balanced meals and snacks that meet individual needs and requirements.
- We maintain the highest possible food hygiene standard regarding the purchase, storage, preparation, and food serving.
- We provide a balanced and healthy breakfast, midday meal, tea, and snacks for children attending a full day at the nursery.
- We cater for any allergies of special requirement.
- Our menus are available on request.
- We understand we need to plan for all eventualities to ensure the health, safety and welfare of all the children we care for.
- In the event of severe weather, we will do our best to open.
- In the event of a closure, we will inform all parents through email.
key person approach
- We support children to make strong attachments with their key person.
- Each child is allocated a key person who is present during the settling period.
- The key person is responsible for keeping a development record and encouraging the child to take part and experience in the activities that are on offer and to build confidence and achieve the best possible outcome.
Parents and carers as partners
- We believe that parents and staff need to work together in a close partnership in order for children to receive the quality of care and early learning to meet their individual needs.
- We recognise and support parents as their child’s first and most important educators and welcome them into the life of the nursery.
- We provide parent evenings to promote parent and nursery communication, supported by the key person approach.
- The online journal Tapestry encourages a two-way sharing of information.
Arrival and departure
- All children have their own unique password.
- Collectors, if not emergency contacts, must have written consent from the parent in the collection book, a description, full name, contact numbers, etc., and they must know the password.
- It is crucial we have the parent pack back before the settling sessions; otherwise, the child cannot be left.
GDPR Privacy Notice
- The Privacy Notice to ensure compliance under the General Data Protection Regulation (Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (GDPR) and Data Protection Act 2018.